Quality Learning Environment (QLE)
BACKGROUND: WHY IS THIS FRAMEWORK BEING DEVELOPED?
- If we believe that continuous school improvement and student success in their learning depends on the quality of instruction in classrooms. We need to begin a conversation about effective instructional practices.
- The catch is, how can we have in-depth conversations about effective instruction if we don't share a common language?
- To develop a common language, we need to identify - with your help and guidance - an instructional framework that defines and provides a common language and identifies core ideas of what is important around effective classroom practice (Westerberg, 2009).
BELIEFS / ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT TEACHING & LEARNING:
This framework is being developed on a set of beliefs and assumptions which have been drawn from research on teaching and learning:
- Highly effective teachers are the key to student learning and success (Marzano, 2007).
- Student learning and success can only occur when we, as a system, continually focus on improving teaching and learning practices in classrooms (Mourshed, Chijioke, & Barber, 2010).
- "...the most significant in-school factor affecting student achievement is the quality of teaching" (Hargreaves & Fullan, 2012).
GUIDELINES FOR DEVELOPMENT:
- The QLE will be based on sound educational research related to teaching and learning.
- The process will build commitment rather than compliance through a process of authentic, transparent engagement of educators throughout the district.
- Updates will be provided to staff through school based administrators and key teacher groups (Teachers Matter, AISI, and Special Education Liaisons).
- Updates will also be posted on the following site: http://cesdqle.wikispaces.com
WHERE HAS THE DATA FOR THIS FRAMEWORK COME FROM... SO FAR?
- It is critical to hear the views of multiple stakeholders in the development of this framework.
- The following plan and timeline of the process to access the voice of stakeholders can be found on the QLE wiki - it will continue to evolve as we work through the development of this framework. http://cesdqle.wikispaces.com/Stakeholder+Input+Plan
A NOTE ABOUT THE FRAMEWORK:
The framework and description of the elements of a quality learning environment are intended to outline high leverage points around instruction. The focus of this framework is on instruction (teaching and learning) and what works best to help students learn. This framework does not include everything that happens in schools. We acknowledge the critical importance of the need for such elements as strong classroom management, the need to create global citizens, character development and connecting to community. We believe that many of these elements, although not specifically identified, are embedded in the big ideas within this framework.